Lightning is more dangerous than most of people realize; it is also more common than most of people thought. It kills more people per annual than we would like to admit; it has destroyed too many valuable properties.
What is lightning? Lightning is a sudden flash of light that accompanies an electric discharge in the atmosphere that occurs typically during a thunderstorm.
The concept of lightning
As defined above, lightning releases electric discharge in the atmosphere. Electric charges always seek the easiest path to ground. Therefore, when this electric discharge is released to the atmosphere, it naturally seeks the easiest path to ground. Moreover, any object that is a conductor of electricity in such environment becomes the channel.
How to stay safe during lightning
In this section, I will show you how to keep yourself and your property safe during lightning.
- Ensure your home is lightning protected: There are several means to protect your home from lightning. Some of them include earthing, surge protection and lightning rod. Ensure your home is protected through any of these means.
- Stay Safe during lightning: At least 95% of lightening deaths occurs outdoor. If you see lightning, get inside your home. If you are not close to you home, then get a safe place—not a place where you will have to support yourself with metallic objects or iron.
- Unplug your electronic gadgets: One of the most unsafe things to do during thunderstorm is to use your electronic gadgets. It is true that we can use surge devices to protect these device. It is also true that these defenses can be overwhelmed should lightning hit a nearby power pole.
- Avoid physical contact with metal: Metals, as we know is a good conductor of electricity. When a lightning strike hits your house—or even comes close, it potentially carries enough electricity indoors through these natural conductors. These electric discharges can cause electrocution or other electrical injuries.
- Avoid bathing: Because water is also a good conductor of electricity, I recommend that you do not use the bathroom during lightning.
- Do not Stay under the tree: Some people tend to seek covering under the tree during rain. This is one of the most dangerous things to do. Lightning tends to hit the tallest object in an area. This makes trees the natural target. Moreover, electricity always seeks the easiest path to the ground. Therefore, it is dangerous because man conduct electricity better than trees. You know what that means.